Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Tabloid Madness


Yup, I think that pretty much sums up my dislike of tabloids.

However, please don't think I've gone completely anti-Cameron: heck, I even bought the Times today. And yes, it may be owned by Murdoch, but as far as I can tell it's the closest thing the press has to a balanced, centre-right view. So for that reason, I'm happy to consider its stance.

The reason why I like the Times is because it's also not afraid to ask questions of every political party. It has not followed Cameron blindly: it has constructively shown him where he has gone wrong, and pointed out what he's doing right. Though it may well be a blow to Conservatives who read it to find that some generals back the Lib Dems' views on Trident. I've had to link you to the Telegraph, because annoyingly, you now have to pay to read the Times online. Bah.

I feel I should also make my current stance clear. I am a Liberal Conservative: I admire Kenneth Clarke just as much as I admire Vince Cable. I do not believe all Tories are the same: but I am critical of those who exude arrogance, such as those who say I will be wasting my vote if I happen to vote for another party.
I want a strong government, but I do not see why that cannot be the same as a coalition government. And the Conservatives should realise that strong majorities, such as the ones seen in 1997, 2001, and 2005, have resulted in the most corrupt Parliament on record, with a record number of MPs being forced to resign. As much as I hate to say it, the majority isn't working: because, thanks to the two-party system, it's not a majority.

Oh, and the last government with a decent record on the economy? Well, as far as I can tell, that was under John Major between 1993 and 1997, when his small majority was lost even before the landslide defeat.

He's supposedly the worst leader the Conservatives have ever had. But he knew how to win an election in 1992, which is more than three of his successors did; he guided Britain out of recession; he governed the country for six and a half years; and he did it without PR, taking on a hostile crowd at Luton with a determination to let people hear what he had to say. His opponents said his low-tech tactics couldn't work: he proved them wrong, and for that, he should be respected.
Could Cameron possibly learn from him? In terms of dodging eggs, almost certainly.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment